Richardson Electrical Company (RECo) is started by Harry L. Anderson. In the small city and surrounding area of Waltham, Massachusetts, Harry and one other electrician install electric igniters and wiring necessary to electrically ignite gas lamps.
RECo grows to Harry and 3 others, including two electricians. Vaughan A. Richardson I, Harry’s nephew, moves from New Brunswick, Canada, and decides to join the company as well. Sadly, Harry passes away later that year. Vaughan purchases the stock, truck, and tools for $500, with money loaned from Harry’s sister, continuing the family business.
Electricity came to Boston in 1892, but it is still in its infancy until the 1930s. RECo begins wiring homes during this time, as paid for by the Edison Company. Edison pays a fee to have an electric light installed in each room of a home, and one receptacle installed in the kitchen. Using knob and tube wiring methods, Vaughan works 7 days a week for almost 15 years through the great depression.
Wiring homes expands into light industry. RECo also begins selling circular oil burners to replace old coal burners in residences. Working in teams, they are able to completely replace a working coal burner in one day, using water to cool it down for piping. Vaughan installs the very first oil burner in Waltham.
In support of the war effort, during WWII, RECo spends an entire winter upgrading fluorescent lighting, fire alarm, and power distribution in the Waltham Watch Factory. The factory manufactures plane altimeters through the end of the war.
In 1950, Vaughan’s son, Gerald A. Richardson (on the left), joins the company. At this time treatment of wastewater and town water supplies is expanding and improving, as well as being required by the population increase of rural areas. Gerald teaches himself how to build early motor control centers and implement the new methods of monitoring and control of these systems.
With more than 50 electricians in the field, RECo builds one half of all the wastewater pumping stations in New England. 300 stations are completed in one year alone.
Gerald’s sons Vaughan A. Richardson II and Glen D. Richardson join the company, continuing the family business into a 4th generation. Building on the reputation set by their grandfather and father, Glen brings business management and Vaughan brings the engineering and sales skills the company needs.
Vaughan completes our first Design+Build project at the Saltonstall and McCormack State and Federal Office buildings in Boston. Engineering and construction work includes an automated lighting control system for the two 22-story office towers. This performance contract, overseen by Johnson Controls, is our most successful energy savings project to date.
1990s - Present Day
In 2001, Linda S. Richardson takes over as president of the company. Since that time, Richardson Electrical has expanded project experience further into industrial, commercial, and governmental markets as well as renewable energy. Due to the dedication of staff and their ability to conquer any task, the company continues to grow to this day.